After a few unsuccessful attempts, we managed to make contact with Clare O’ Leary today through Skype. First and Third Classes gathered together to ask her questions. Her flight on to the snow has been delayed as conditions were not right. She is hoping to depart tomorrow from her base in Northern Canada with Mike O’ Shea. Here are some of the answers to our questions:
- The temperature changes all the time. Two days ago it was -68 degrees and yesterday it was -42 degrees.
- It takes 4-5 hours to melt their drinking water
- She hopes the expedition will take 45-50 days in total.
- They have a little cooker for their meals that is about the size of a grapefruit.
- She hasn’t seen any polar bears yet but has seen footprints of them!